Monday, July 20, 2015

Master Bath Update

I am SOOO excited about our plans for our master bath update. We moved into our house 5 years ago, and really never did much to the master bathroom. We painted it and added a storage cabinet over the toilet, but that was about it. And really, we were disappointed with the paint outcome. It was too bright blue and overly shiny, but painting a bathroom is a HUGE pain and we were not willing to undertake that challenge for a second time.

Well, recently, I've gotten the itch to update pretty much everything in our entire house. I blame it on "nesting." And we are doing ALL of it under a tight budget. (Also this is the first Summer in 4 years of marriage that we have had any extra money so we are kind of excited about it.)


During this bathroom "remodel," we are going to do the following things:


  • Refinish vanity - completed
  • Add cabinet hardware - completed
  • Add bamboo shades (This bathroom is from 1997. For some unknown reason, the window is totally clear! No frosted glass or anything! When we moved in, it came with lovely white vertical blinds. I removed them and put up frosted window film pretty much immediately, but think the bamboo shades will just add a pretty element.)
  • Repaint - my dear MIL is going to do this for us because she enjoys painting!
  • Replace hollywood lights - vanity lights are SO expensive. We are going to be making our own with the help of my extreme-handyman-dad! Estimated cost under $30!!!
  • Add a board & batten-esque wall with towel hooks
  • Replace sink faucets
  • Replace or spray paint existing hand towel holders
WOW! It's going to look like a totally new bathroom when we are finished, without having to truly remodel it. I was itching to replace the shower because it is all 3x3 white tiles and the grout was old and annoying, but my dad helped me regrout it and I don't hate it anymore! Yay! (Side note: I plan on regrouting the upstairs shower eventually so I will do a How To post on that...) 

There are a few things that I would like to do, if we don't run out of money first!

  • New rugs and new towels to match our new color scheme (this is lowest on the priority list as it's not super important to achieve the look)
  • Get rid of our 1997 medicine cabinet and turn it into a little nook to put decorative glasses & bathroom supplies
  • Replace the flooring (Hubby would like to do this ASAP, but I'm nervous)
  • Replace our bathroom fan with a light & fan combo. When I remove the hollywood lights from the vanity, I anticipate this making it a little bit darker in the bathroom so we can add a little light by changing out the bathroom fan. However, those things are like $50 minimum so we will just see how the new light looks before I commit to this one.
My goal is to complete this remodel with less than $300. Below is a nice before picture to pique your interest! Come back soon to see progress and find out if we can do it under budget! :)

Yes, this picture is from 2010, and although we have changed a few small things, it still basically looked like this until a few weeks ago when Steven refinished the cabinets.

~Kasey


No comments:

Post a Comment